She says, “Oh I’m sorry, I am here all the time, no one has complained before.”
“Well, that’s weird, because its totally wrong of you to do. By the way, can I have the name of your employer?”
“I don’t think that’s appropriate for you to ask.”
“I don’t think its appropriate or considerate of you to discuss Debbie’s phone number and test results or Tami’s face lift in public.”
“It doesn’t matter what I say as long as I don’t say their social security number.”
“Well, I hope I never go to your office, its incredibly disrespectful to patients.”
I went and sat back down, she packed up and finally left. Old lady smiled at me, I felt calmer. Later old lady comes over and says, “That really took some guts on your part. And just so you know, I was here the other day and she was doing the same thing. I didn’t see her before I sat down or I would have gone somewhere else. But I’m going to tell the librarians, because its just not right of her to do that in here. She was using their electricity.” I thanked her for supporting me (although backing me up when I was talking to receptionist would have been better) and told her receptionist was also using the library’s internet.
I still think its wrong that she’s doing doctor office business in the library. In public. Isn’t that what doctor’s offices are for??? Is there not some code of conduct for this? And, librarians out there, is it ok to use a cell phone in the library, for any purpose? I would not do it, I’d go outside. It’s a library for pete’s sake, a quiet zone. And the next time I hear someone answer a cell phone like, “Hello, Dr. X’s office, how may I help you?” I will write down Dr. X’s name, look them up and let them know what their receptionist is doing.
2 comments:
I'm waiting for the results of the recent bake-off until I post about libraries...
liz: not that you should make this a crusade, but check into the HIPAA rules there. we aren't allowed to talk about cases in any public area of the hospital. period. everyone at the hospital had to go to this crappy seminar where that point was re-re-re-iterated. and i don't have anything to do with patients!
Post a Comment